Many of our clients find January to be the time to sort out relationship problems. Our family law team, recommend the following tips for those of you going through a family breakdown:
- Stop seeking legal advice about family law and divorce matters from the wrong people. These opinions could complicate what should be a straight forward exercise.
- Research and get yourself a good lawyer. Look for a lawyer who is focused and can work through the facts. Initially it may seem appealing to engage an “attack dog” lawyer, driven by ego and aggression. However, please be careful, as this could result in more stress and higher costs for you. The qualities of the best family lawyer is one who has the ability to deliver the results and remain calm.
- Do not use social media to comment on your ex or subjects relating to your family law matters.
- Think about your communication skills. Try and stay on point when giving your instructions to your lawyer. You should not make assumptions about what your lawyer does and does not need to know. Endeavor to give your instructions civilly and accept that a good lawyer will assist you through the divorce process.
- “Time is of the essence”. Give your lawyer the information that is asked for in a timely manner.
- Don’t involve the children in the argument.
- Think ahead. Don’t wait until the last minute to work out plans with your former partner in relation to property and child issues. Doing so could mean unnecessary legal fees and emotional distress for you. Think about holidays and property deadlines in advance and address those issues.
- Take care of yourself. Once you are satisfied that you have found a good lawyer, your problems become their problems. Endeavour to get some rest and leave the legalities to your lawyer. Seek assistance from a counsellor specialising in separated family problems. We have a great working relationship with many counsellors and can refer a counsellor to you. You are not alone in this process. Be patient with the transformation and take this opportunity to take control of your life and learn from the experience.
- Focus on resolution and closure. A good family lawyer has the ability to change roles. They could be a mediator, at times a social worker and if need be, the litigator. If your ex-partner is not prepared to negotiate, it is difficult to progress and resolve the dispute without resorting to litigation.
WHY ENGAGE OUR SERVICES TO HELP WITH RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
Our family law team has the reputation for thinking outside the square. With Collaborative Law training we have assisted our clients to reach good settlements.
Finally, our family law team was voted as one of the top tier Cairns family law firms. We have a reputation for being hard workers and if your matter requires lengthy litigation, our team has what it takes to manage your case to a successful conclusion.